Thank you for visiting.
This site was created for the purpose of collaborating with the community and other organizations to protect and preserve Cumnock, North Carolina and its neighboring comunities.
Check out the new FrackFreeNC website! Stay up-to-date with current events related to fracking.
Forced Pooling Overview -
NEW Fracking BIll: S 76
S 76 - The New Fracking Bill - And What It Means for North Carolina
S 76 appears intended to spur oil and gas development by lowering the bar for environmental, landowner and local government protections. S 76 removes a number of the safeguards from last year's fracking bill, now law, S 820; while also tacking on a provisions from last year's failed S 709. These include:
- Legislative oversight: S 76 allows DENR to begin issuing permits March 1, 2015 regardless of the status the development of a regulatory framework by the Mining and Energy Commission, and without legislative review and approval of that framework.
- Composition of the Mining and Energy Commission: S 76 removes the seat reserved for the State Geologist, even though NC's unique geologic features are at the heart of devising a safe regulatory framework.
- Local control: Limits the ability of local government to raise revenues to offset adverse impacts from oil and gas development.
- Landowner protection: Repeals the Landmen Registry, a safeguard in S 820 to provide accountability and so offer a measure of protection for landowners from fly-by-night "landmen" seeking to persuade landowners to sign unfavorable leases.
- Groundwater protection: S 76 expands the exemption in a way that could be interpreted to allow disposal of chemical-laden waste water from fracking in groundwater.
- Offshore drilling: Picking up where S709 left off, S 76 allocates revenue from offshore energy exploration even though revenue sharing for energy exploration in federal waters off NC's coast is not currently available.
Search Fracking Leases. Follow instructions below:
- Go to Lee County Register of deeds: Click HERE
- Click "Full Site" (Green at the top)
- Click "Land" button on top left.
- Select "Grantor/Grantee"
- Search "Businesses"
- Enter names below and click search.
NC Oil And Gas
WHITMAR EXPLORATION COMPANY
Map Of Gas Leased Land in Lee County
If Link is not working, Cut-Paste this:
Scroll through the pages of Parcel numbers at the bottom left. This will take you to new maps.
Any donation can be sent to:
Cumnock Preservation Association
1061 Cumnock Road
Sanford, NC, 27330
Please send any questions and concerns to: